Mehndi (henna) has come a long way since the time when pharaohs walked the earth. It has since then been passed down from South Asian cultures to the present. It's still being used these days in Hindu weddings and festivals as seen on dozens of beautiful brides, and sometimes on grooms, in traditional Pakistani and Hindu or Sikh/Punjabi celebrations.
Many artists nowadays in both South Asian and Western are also keeping the art alive with stunning designs, amalgamated with modern twists.
Check out some of their works below.
1. This gorgeous design that will leave you feeling satisfied.
2. This leaf-inspired beauty.
3. Don't you wish they were permanent?
4. This gorgeous pair of perfectly symmetrical feet henna tattoos.
5. These hand designs that will make you thankful for mehndi being passed down generation from generation.
6. This impossibly intricate pair.
7. Making the most out of a pregnant tummy by having the extra space designed with safe henna ink.
8. A design that deserves to be worn with evening gowns.
9. An ornate, esoteric design for a mysterious aura.
10. THIS. IS. WHAT. ART. LOOKS. LIKE.
11. A design that could have only been crafted by impossibly steady hands.
12. If I had that done on my feet, I would be barefooted for a week.
13. You don't need an occasion for an excuse to get glammed up with a slaying henna design.
14. Start 'em young! Artsy expecting mommy sharing the art love with her little one weeks before the grand arrival.
15. Experiment with white ink henna for a gorgeous lacy effect.
16. A henna crown making the fight easier for this lovely woman.