Never mind 'look good, feel good', I'm all about 'eat good, feel good'! It's no myth that whatever you put into your body has an impact on you, physically, emotionally, and mentally. Eating the right foods can aid and prevent so many different health problems. But, are there any foods that can help heal your damaged skin after a tattoo?
I personally begin to feel ill right after a long tattoo session. Your body has fought pain for hours on end, your adrenaline has been sky-high, and now during the crucial aftercare period, your immune system is poised to heal that sore skin and fight any potential infection. Eating the right nutrients can keep your immune system boosted, and provide you with natural vitamins and antioxidants to help you feel 100% ASAP!
1. Pomegranate is such a superfood - I'd recommend getting it into your diet pronto! It contains many vitamins such as A and C, as well as other antioxidants, and is also a natural inflammation-reducer.
2. Pineapple can really help boost your immune system if you're starting to feel low post-tattoo. As well as other vitamins and antioxidants, it's packed with manganese... a mineral that can help keep your energy levels up. If your body is focusing on healing a large open wound, it'll need an energy boost more than ever.
3. Garlic is great for so many things - too many to list here! Bones, energy, strengthening that immune system, preventing colds.
4. Oranges. Vitamin C should be top of your list in the healing process. Oranges are jam-packed with this essential vitamin that aids building new proteins for skin and scar tissue.
5. Cocoa (yep)! We use cocoa butter on our skin in bucketloads in the aftercare process, and some believe ingesting dark chocolate also can be good for you in many ways. It can help keep skin moisturised and protected, and also promotes new cell growth on that damaged skin.
6. Salmon is a high source of Omega-3 which is great for inflammation. Reducing the swelling of a fresh tattoo can ease the pain and aid for a quicker recovery. So ditch those pain killers and get a fish-pie on the go!
Above all, eat healthy, get lots of Vitamin C, drink plenty of water, go easy on the booze and happy healing! <3